What is a trademark? A trademark is the name of the brand that is used to identify a particular brand and its goods and services. This is fundamental before establishing a company or a brand. The trademark can be in the form of words, signature, name, shape, picture, color, or a combination of any of these. If you want to register a company in Dubai, a trademark register is the first step.
Registering a trademark offers benefits such as distinguishing your brand from other competitors, maximize the value of the business, and marketing tool to grow your business.
Trademark Register Laws in UAE.
Business setup Dubai requires you to choose a trademark for your business. The Federal Laws of the United Arab Emirates protects any trademark registered within the country. The law aims to safeguard the interest of both the customers and the company. Here are some of the things covered by the trademark register law.
1. Meaning of trademark
2. What can and cannot be registered as a trademark
3. Trademark registration and cancellation
4. Ownership transfer of trademark
5. Providing others the authority to use the trademark
6. Punishment for infringement of trademark law
Trademark Register Requirements in Dubai
It is the responsibility of the Ministry of Economy to register the trademarks in UAE. If you are looking to register your trademark in Dubai, you can do it in accordance with the trademark laws. Here are a list of documents required for trademark register in Dubai.
1. Black and white trademark images as a softcopy and a digital image of JPEG logo
2. Description of the goods and services your business is offering
3. Power of attorney for application filing
4. A copy of the certificate of incorporation for corporates
5. If the trademark is registered in any other country, the certificate of trademark registration
6. Translation of words in the trademark
Process of Trademark Register
For business setup Dubai, you have to follow the following trademark registration process.
1. You have to file the application for trademark registration at the Ministry of Economy
2. It takes the Ministry of Economy 30 days to come to a decision if your application is approved or not
3. If your application is approved, it will be notified in the Ministry of Economy bulletin and two newspapers at the expense of the applicant
4. If an entity objects to the trademark registration, they can do so by filing a written objection within 30 days from the last notification. The Ministry of Economy will inform the applicant with a copy of the objection within 15 days since the objection was filed
5. If no one objects, the trademark is approved and the applicant must provide the following certification
• Registration number
• Application date
• Trade name
• Trademark copy
• Product or service description
Validity of the Trademark in Dubai
After you have registered the trademark in Dubai, it has a validity of 10 years from the date of filing the application. You can renew the application after every 10 years and will get an extension of 10 years. Dubai Business Setup helps you establish a company in Dubai without any hassle.